How can I obtain a Free Credit Report?

The Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act of 2003 (FACTA) provides that every consumer is entitled to a free credit report every 12 months from each of the three national repositories: Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. Customers may obtain their personal credit report through the following website:

Where can I turn for help cleaning up my credit?

Several non-profit agencies offer free counseling to assist you in this regard. Consult the yellow pages or the Internet under the heading Credit Counseling Services to find a counseling service in your area.

How do I dispute an item on my credit report?

You must contact the credit agencies directly and dispute the reported item. Following is the information on how to contact the agencies:

Transunion Consumer Relations Equifax Consumer Relations Experian Consumer Relations
PO Box 1000 PO Box 105873 PO Box 2002
Chester, PA 19022 Atlanta, GA 30348 Allen, TX 75013
800-888-4213 800-685-1111 888-397-3742

What steps do I take if I become a victim of Identity Theft?

If you have been a "Victim of Identity Theft" in California you have certain rights under the law. In order to protect yourself you may provide a copy of a valid police report or a valid investigative report made by a Department of Motor Vehicle investigator with peace officer status to a credit reporting agency. The credit reporting agency must promptly block the reporting of any information that you allege appears on your credit report as a result of a violation of Section 530.5 of the Penal Code and shall ensure that information is unblocked only upon a preponderance of the evidence establishing one of the following facts: (1) The information was blocked due to a material misrepresentation of fact by you or fraud; or (2) You agree that the blocked information, or portions of the blocked information, were blocked in error; or (3) You knowingly obtained possession of goods, services, or moneys as a result of the blocked transaction or transactions or you should have known that you obtained possession of goods, services, or moneys as a result of the blocked transaction or transactions.